Thursday, December 19, 2013

Its been a while...

So after Thanksgiving break our school district was hit by a tornado and had bad weather resulting in about a week and a half of canceled school.   With that I had missed a lot of classes with students and it has been a rush to try and finish projects this week with Christmas programs(they are wonderful) going on, so here is a collection of some work that has been done in the past month.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

1/2 and 1/2

The 6th graders started this project the other day and I really like how some of them are turning out. we found a picture in a magazine, we tore the picture in half, glued one half down, and then they had to draw the other half.  More are on the way.

Pattern Leafs

This is the most recent 4th grade project.  We started this project with a large leaf stencil, that I traced from a leaf outside our school.  After the students traced around the stencil, we separated it into sections and then they had to fill the inside with patterns.  This took a whole class period, the next class period we painted the background, I let them paint it any colors they would like.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Ceiling Tiles Pt 1

Each year the Art Club makes a ceiling tile for my class room.  The students find an artist that is not already selected and then recreate their work onto the tile.  WHen they are done they are hung on the ceiling immortalizing them as Art Club Members.  These are the ones that are done so far this year.  A picture of my ceiling will follow with the rest of the completed tiles.

Op Art Hands

So this project was pretty good for the students to practice their color scales, it just took a long time for them to complete, I think a lot lost interest when they saw the large task a head of them.  I think next time I may try to use smaller paper than 12x18.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Complementary Colors

I saw this project over Here and I liked it so much I used it with my 5th graders.  This was a great project to drive home the Complementary colors with the students.  We started with tracing their hands then coloring them with a marker and tried to use curves when we colored.  After that we found the complementary color to the hands and then we put swirls and targets in the background.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Zombie Self Portrait

In the spirit of Halloween the 3rd graders created these zombiefied self portraits.
The students were not too excited when I told them that we were going to do a self portrait, then I sprung the zombie aspect on them and they got really excited!

Picasso Value Scale

For this project we talked a little about Picasso and cubism.  I had them draw a guitar from one I had in my room.  We then separated the body with 3 lines, the neck with 2 and the Headstock 2 lines.  This separated it pretty nice.  We then discussed value scales and the students then colored their guitars any color.  After they were colored we talked about complementary colors and then drew 3 lines in the background to separate the background and then used the value scale of the complementary color of the guitar. They all turned out pretty successful.


Here are a few WIP's (works in progress) for my art club students for their ceiling tiles. They are on their way to being great!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Mascot Collages

I have started an Art club with the 6th grade students and in order to raise some money we created these mascot collages for teachers NEU colleges.  Its was a great way to raise some money for the art club and they look great in the hall.  They were all created with Magazines  I created the Notre Dame one last year in my class with some students from my 7th grade class and never posted it and thought I would give those students come credit (even though its a year late)